What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?
Only the monstrous anger of the guns.
Only the stuttering rifles’ rapid rattle
Can patter out their hasty orisons.
No mockeries now for them; no prayers nor bells;
Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs,
The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells;
And bugles calling for them from sad shires.
What candles may be held to speed them all?
Not in the hands of boys, but in their eyes
Shall shine the holy glimmers of good-byes.
The pallor of girls’ brows shall be their pall;
Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds,
And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds.
- That was 100 years ago. Now we see the death of our young people through knife crime, not because they were at war, but some are now at peace.
- Another complete waste of human life because this current government are more interested in Brexit, and doing dodgy deals with dodgy companies than investing in our youth of today.
- How many more 17 year olds need to die before this Tory government stops cutting all support to young people, their welfare, and their well being; at school, in youth clubs, in youth centres, everywhere.
- The young have seen massive cuts in spending on places they could be, but now closed. Our young are dieing because police numbers, and local police support has been cut to the bone.
- The young are the victims, a dribble of dead young people caught up in doing no wrong, the dribble is becoming a river. Their candles are slowly being dimmed.
- And each slow dusk a drawing down of blinds, again.
What is wrong with this country? Why are our youth suffering, because old people seem to get all the benefits. Why does no one care anymore?
She was only 17, an A-level student, a Scout. Why?